If you own a house, it is important for you to take care of it. This includes your roof. Even though you might not be able to see the entirety of your roof from the ground, it’s important to spot damage before it gets worse. For example, you should get your roof inspected at least once per year. You should also take steps to prevent ice dams from forming on your roof. What is an ice dam, and what do you need to do to get rid of it? Take a look at a few important points below, and give Redline Roofing a call when you need roofing services in Lindale, TX and the surrounding areas.
An Overview of an Ice Dam
An ice dam happens when there is a blockage of ice that forms on the edge of your roof. The primary responsibility of your roof is to prevent water from leaking into your home. If there is an ice dam on the edge of your roof, water will start to freeze and pool around it. Water also expands when it freezes (making cracks bigger), and the expanding ice dam gets heavy, which could lead to a leak. An ice dam could even impact the ability of water to enter your gutters. You need to get rid of an ice dam as quickly as possible, as well as take steps to prevent it from happening.
What Does an Ice Dam Look Like?
It can be difficult to spot an ice dam from the ground, but there are several signs that could indicate that you have an ice dam on the edge of your roof. You can check your gutters to see if water is running off, look for leaks or water in the attic, or watch out for icicles forming only around the edge of a gutter.
What Problems Can an Ice Dam Cause?
There are several significant problems that can be created by this icicle blockade. Some of the biggest issues include:
- All of the ice that builds up on top of your roof can cause your shingles and gutters to tear. You might even see your downspouts fall from the edge of your roof.
- Because there is a lot of water building up on your roof, it can leak into the attic, leading to a tremendous amount of water damage.
- You may also notice that mold and mildew begin to grow on or under your roof. Mold and mildew both like areas that have a lot of moisture.
- If you have a lot of snow and ice on top of your roof, it could cause your roof to collapse.
For these reasons, you need to get rid of your ice dam as quickly as possible.
How Do You Get Rid of It?
If you want to get rid of an ice dam, you may be tempted to climb up to the roof yourself to try to remove it. This is actually a very bad idea. It is incredibly dangerous to climb up to your roof, particularly when there is a lot of ice up there. You may have a hard time getting your ladder to anchor to the side of the roof. Instead, it is better to reach out to a professional who has the training, experience, and equipment necessary to get rid of this issue.
How Do You Prevent an Ice Dam?
Once the ice dam has been removed by a professional, it is important to prevent it from coming back. Some of the most important tips to keep in mind include:
- Make sure you add more insulation underneath the row. That way, you don’t have to worry as much about ice sticking to your roof in the future.
- It’s important to get your roof regularly inspected to ensure it is not vulnerable to forming an ice dam.
- Finally, it’s important to practice safe ice and snow removal practices.
Call Redline Roofing for Help With Ice Dams
Even though an ice dam can be very dangerous for your home, there are professionals who can help you get rid of them and prevent them from coming back. We are Redline Roofing, and it is our pleasure to provide exceptional roofing services in the local area. We understand just how dangerous an ice dam can be, and it would be our pleasure to help you deal with this issue. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.