When you are out driving around, you may notice that most homes and many businesses have asphalt shingle roofing. This popular roofing type is the most common because of its numerous benefits. Here is a look at the many benefits of shingle roofing. If you decide you’d like to learn more about this roofing material, give us a call at Redline Roofing.
Asphalt Shingles Are Versatile and Pleasing to the Eye
When you are shopping for asphalt shingles, your choices are nearly limitless. There is a huge range of colors and textures available. You can find a shingle that complements your house color, and shingles also come in many shapes and sizes. You can even choose asphalt shingles that look like slate, wood, or cedar. This is a big benefit because you can get a high-end look without the cost.
Asphalt Shingles Are Cost-Effective
Asphalt shingles offer an affordable price. This is important when you are making a big investment in your roof. Even within the realm of asphalt shingles, there are many different price points. You can choose basic shingles for the most savings or opt for a higher-end option for more protection. All of these choices help you stick to your budget and get the look and qualities you desire.
Asphalt Shingles Offer a High Level of Performance
Asphalt shingles have a long life and are an ideal weight. They are not too light and not too heavy. Because this product has been used in North America for more than 100 years, homeowners know that asphalt shingles are durable. Homeowners with asphalt shingles experience fewer leaks. In addition, shingles are fire and lift-resistant.
If you decide to purchase higher quality shingles, such as class 4, you will get added benefits. These shingles offer protection from cracking or splitting from large hail and also have excellent wind performance. When you make this upgrade, many insurance companies give a discount on your insurance premium.
Asphalt Shingles Are Easy to Install
Installation is a big part of the cost of roof replacement, so the easier a product is to install, the cheaper installation will be. In addition to the ease of installation, there are numerous qualified installers available, and materials are readily available. This makes it easier to find someone to do the job in a reasonable timeframe.
Here is a look at the basic steps for asphalt shingle installation:
- Tear off existing roofing shingles.
- Put on the weatherproof membrane.
- Install flash edging.
- Put the starter strip in place.
- Install the shingles, working from the lower left-hand corner of the roof and working up.
- Place the ridge cap shingles at the top of the roof.
Easy Repairs and Maintenance
Most repairs on asphalt roofs are simple. This saves money in the long run. Homeowners can save money by performing regular maintenance and making repairs when the problem is small.
Here are a few regular maintenance tasks that will help your roof last longer:
- Perform regular housekeeping tasks. These consist of clearing away debris and tidying all roof-related components. Cut away any vegetation that overhangs the roof. In addition to removing debris from the roof, also check the vents, downspouts, chimneys, and skylights.
- Once your roof is clean, take a close look to check for any problems. If you see anything of concern, call a professional. It will save you money to make a small repair before a problem gets too big. A large problem could cause leaks, which can damage your structure below. In addition to checking your shingles, look at the flashing, gutters, and downspouts.
- Keep good records of all roof repairs and replacements. Whenever you are ready to sell your home, this information will come in handy.
Asphalt Shingles Are Recyclable
Asphalt shingles can be recycled when they reach the end of their life. This service is available in most metro markets. If recycling is important to you, ask your roofing contractor whether they offer this service before making your choice. Most often, recycled shingles are used in paving. Plus, much of the scrap created in the production process is recycled as well.
Would You Like More Information About Asphalt Shingles?
If you are in need of roof repairs or replacement, contact our expert team at Redline Roofing. We are a 5-star rated roofing contractor that serves Lindale, Tyler, Longview, and surrounding cities. We have experience in both residential and commercial roofing and offer asphalt shingles and metal roofing. Our team can also handle roof repairs, inspections, and insurance claims. Get a free quote by contacting our team online or by calling 903-508-1651.